Friday, January 20, 2006

The meaning of trust

It occurs to me that there are two ways to think about trust. Let's suppose that X is some person or system whom you are considering trusting. They might be a wife, father, a legal process, journalists or some other person or group.

I think there are two ways to approach this. The first is to understand their character -- their tendencies and your expectations relating to those. I might trust X once I understand their character, even if I believe they will in many ways undermine my own goals. For example, one might learn to trust an enemy to behave in a certain way once you understand their character.

On the other hand, one might consider trust to be submitting ones goal system to that of another. For example, I might trust that my partner is doing the best thing even though their actions are in contradiction with my own goals -- my own estimation of what the best thing is.

I would say I primarily involve myself with the first kind of trust -- relying on people to act as I expect. I trust some of my work colleagues do some kinds of tasks, but not others. I regard this kind of trust to be of a different character to the second.

However, with people that I love, I would say I involve a mixture of trusts. I submit my goal systems to those of (for example) my partner, my parents and my much-loved friends.

In a sense it's the difference between a tool and team-mate. I would say these are two distinct kinds of trust, which do not bleed into eachother. To some extent, I regard my loved ones as tools also.

Some of them are good at responding to emails, some are bad. It would be silly for me to expect some of them to organise an important event, etc. On the other hand, some are excellent. Insofar as I am trying to achieve particular goals, I must consider them as tools.

On the other hand, I also regard them as team-mates. This is to say that I trust not only their behaviours, but their goals.

I'm not sure that I've captured the thought precisely, but hopefully I've gotten the nub of it.

Cheers,
-MP

4 Comments:

Blogger ingenuity at its finest said...

what do you think of trust in relationships... i am being accused of not being able to trust Completely. i believe that i do trust my guy completely but is it not okay to wonder and be curious? i mean, does that necessarily mean that because i "think twice" or whatever, it means i dont trust completly? and what if he Gives me reason to doubt.. would that change anything?

5/05/2006 07:33:00 AM  
Blogger Jbeady said...

Trust is a principle - not a belief, Although it can also be described as a virtue.! Like any other virtue, trust cannot be described as a product of any opinion.. Instead, like gravity, trust is an undeniable noetic appreciation of a standard form of meaning. By comparison it is false to suggest that an opinion is a useful universal standard, for every conscious error of judgement is a matter of opinion.

5/15/2006 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger Wisdom Point said...

Thinking about "trust", or trusting your "thinking"? Trust and Thinking seem to be obvious opposites. Once we discover how they complement each other, we are in alignment with our highest potential.

12/14/2008 08:05:00 AM  
Anonymous remco said...

To me trust has to do with letting go of all my expectations and trusting that "the other" will do whatever his/her heart feels is best.
So to trust for me is to be able to let all of my expectations and other mental burden go, and feel if it is trust worthy or not...
Very difficult indeed but also very fullfilling

1/05/2009 11:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home