Friday, November 25, 2005

I Can Save Telstra

In light of the continuing decline of Telstra share prices, and most likely their business, I would like to stand up and offer my services as CEO. I believe I could turn around the current decline and work within existing laws.

I would stand on a platform of open governance, working with small providers as an infrastructure provider to ensure access to high-speed internet services, new telephony technologies and rural access going forward into the future. Costs will be cut by (sadly) dropping some staff, and re-concentrating efforts towards infrastructure investment, new technology adoption and a streamlining of existing services.

Retail and wholesale divisions would be split in terms of accounting, with the retail divisions of Telstra competing on the same basis as external organisations. Business components should succeed on their own merits, otherwise it is (by definition) not worth having them. Obviously, access to company funds in order to meet this challenge would be made available, but clear accounting and Key Performance Indicators would be publically tracked.

In order to fully support bush services, I would place a bush support surcharge on all wholesale products offered, which would go directly to a new business unit whose sole responsibility would be planning and deployment in this area. This already occurs with Optus and telephony, but the charge would be extended to every use of Telstra baseline products.

To achieve economy, telephony would be migrated to VOIP, and in the longer term be merged with mobile services. A ubiquitous telephony infrastructure would allow Telstra best advantage from their technical expertise, as well as provide a truly reliable and decentralised exchange mechanism. This is in keeping with global developments and should allow much greater efficiency.

There is not the space in this small post to outline the detail of my broader platform. However, I believe I have the expertise to understand the industry, the tenacity to succeed where others have failed, and the intelligence to avoid disaster. Never before has a national icon been so in need of my assistance, and I offer it gladly. I would accept a salary on $150,000 per year plus a company car. This in itself would offer significant savings to the organisation, especially if this attitude were to permeate upper management. I simply have no need for any more.

Cheers,
-MP

3 Comments:

Blogger MelbournePhilosopher said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/25/2005 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger MelbournePhilosopher said...

A report I have found since making this post, found at this government website supports my technical assertions about the future directions of telephony and broadband internet.

Cheers,
-MP

11/25/2005 11:15:00 AM  
Blogger Matt in Japan said...

You have my vote, as an Aussie and a shareholder

12/02/2005 06:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home