Thursday, October 27, 2005

Intelligent by Association

When I first bought my copy of "Basic Writings of Nietzsche", I noticed the quote on the back.

"Neitzsche is one of the few philosophers since Plato whom large numbers of intelligent people read for pleasure." -- Walter Kaufman

Upon discovering that I did not get very much pleasure from my first reading, I was quite disappointed. Recently, however, I had cause to read "Beyond Good and Evil" while looking for material on the relationship between normativity and morality (if any). I found myself enjoying it immensely! Perhaps I have become more intelligent in the meantime?

If you could be intelligent by association, with whom would you choose to associate? I think for me it would be Wittgenstein.

Cheers,
-MP

1 Comments:

Anonymous Becky said...

Well, I think I'd associate with Betrand Russell because I don't think I could handle associating with Wittgenstein. Too intense. But Bertrand Russell sounds like fun. Not quite as intelligent I guess, but the association itself wouldn't be such hard work :)

10/28/2005 09:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home