Wednesday, July 20, 2005

A lack of multimedia

MelbournePhilosopher

I would very much like to post a photo that I took recently, but the software continues to report errors. How annoying!!!

I seem to have been plagued by technical problems recently - it took me a week to get my new ADSL modem working, whereupon my PC hard drive promptly failed, forcing me to do a re-install of everything, losing many great photos along the way. I managed to restore it to life, but the PC continues to somewhat misbehave. And now this! Why can't everything Just Work?

I am, however, somewhat proud of the equanimity with which I have accepted these frustrating occurences. Perhaps I have managed to connect with my inner Stoic self. (In other news, I'm planning to move into a barrel soon, and spend my time walking around the streets of Melbourne bothering people).

In any case, it is felt that too long has gone without posting, and some measure of explanation is called for. So that's that.

More philosophically, and issue which has been playing on my mind recently is the right-to-die. It seems to this blogger than people's liberty on this issue should be respected, yet at the same time the potential for abuse seems perhaps greater than the potential for additional freedom. This is, if you will, a free will debate. Which is to be respected more - the strength of individual choice, or the need to protect people, including against themselves and their weak, malleable wills?

The free will debate is often seen as a battle between having real choice, or living a predestined existence, but it is much closer to home when it is considered as a tension between honouring the power of choice, versus being fearful of the impositions and demands made of us which might cause our determination to fail.

As a general principle, do people here have any fixed opinion on the psychological strength of people, and the power of individual choice? Which is the greater principle, liberty or protection?

Cheers,
-MP

2 Comments:

Anonymous Paul said...

"Perhaps I have managed to connect with my inner Stoic self. (In other news, I'm planning to move into a barrel soon, and spend my time walking around the streets of Melbourne bothering people)."

Sorry to be pedantic, but Stoics didn't live in barrels, those people were Cynics.

7/21/2005 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

if you want to post pictures dont do it through the normal google way, its pathetic and never works. the easiest way is with a simple "copy paste" HTML code.

this is the code

< IMG SRC = " insert-image-URL-here " >

( i cant write the code properly it wont let me, all u need to change is take away all the spaces and its done :) )
where it sais insert, between quotes is where u copy the image URL. If this doesnt make sense read this.

host your photo on a website, www.ringo.com <-- somthing like that is good. then right click the image then go to properties, and copy the websitein the middle of the popup. paste this addres inside the code i typed earlier. then the code is complete. then simply copy this code anywhere in your blog. blogger.com accepts HTML, and then its done :) the photo will load and you can change the size of it easily in the editor.


any way if you want check out my site www.freshdownload.blogspot.com

my site isnt as insightful , its quite the opposite. but any way it has a lot of images just so you know what you can do with your site if your interested,

4/23/2006 11:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home