Monday, July 04, 2005

A Change of Direction

MelbournePhilosopher

Today's post represents a change of direction for MP.com. It is felt that unless one moves the goalposts every now any then, one will simple get sick of kicking the same old goals. This site has now been up for around 8 months, and in that time has attracted a little over 5000 "visits", has recently seen a marked increase in the number of commenting readers (which is just fantastic to see), although the visits per day has dropped slightly. I'll take quality over quantity any day, of course!

To emphasise the "content makeover" I have also updated the template, just to mix things up a little. Over the coming week I will be posting primarily on the topics of how to bring fresh ideas to the site, what value blogging over the long term might have, the importance of connecting with a readership, and also connecting with ones own motivations.

Some of the things I am planning to include are :
* Posts of email correspondence arguments on philosophy
* Guest interviews (expert)
* Guest interviews (social)
* Photographs and other multimedia

On the other hand, I have decided to abandon a few things alse :
* No essay blog competition - this was intended primarily to be a driver of research among social philosophers, however it is felt that the interest is not there to support this. Instead, short article-based interaction and/or email based interaction is preferable.
* Daily posting - I will simply post when I feel like it, most probably around 3-4 days per week, as I am in fact doing now. Rather than posting daily as a training exercise, I will concentrate on keeping each post "on mission" instead.

I welcome any comment!

Cheers,
-MP

3 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Sounds good - and I like the new look!

7/04/2005 06:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Jake said...

MP, definitely like the new direction and layout. If you've decided this is how you want your site to function towards the best material possible, then I'm sure that will be the outcome.

7/05/2005 11:52:00 AM  
Blogger MelbournePhilosopher said...

Thanks guys! It's great to hear from you.

I've already teed up a new segment - a weekly "blog debate". Details are being finalised, but expect to see regular guest debates starting Real Soon.

Cheers,
-MP

7/05/2005 02:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home