Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Appreciating Others

MelbournePhilosopher

I have been listening to some self-help tapes by Anthony Robbins lately, and I am trying to take some of his advice on board. His comments always make sense, but he combines with with an enthusiasm and love which really shines through. He gets caught up with his own presentation, and you can't help but get taken along for the ride.

While at one level this is a simple technique to get people engaged, he goes further by making his progression of ideas very well-reasoned, and very clear. He is inspirational both emotionally and intellectually. False inspiration can ultimately be disappointing, but he seems genuine to me. If that's a rational weakness on my part, well, so be it - I'm only human dammit!

One of the things he recommends is to dwell more on the things you are grateful for -- especially people and relationships. This blog is an odd combination of a lonely journey, and also a connection with others. I always prefer to think of my comments as an unapologetic statement of opinion, but never as being "a man with a message", or seeking to simply force a position.

I would like to take a moment to express my gratitude for the people I have met through this blog. I have found it to be a quiet corner of the 'net, but a few people have taken the time to stop by. So here is a short tribute to them.

Richard, of course, is a regular contributor and a long-standing reader. I also stop by his blog at least once a week, more often when possible. His logical abilities are excellent, and he never introduces the tone of superiority than can so quickly bring a great argument to its knees. So thanks Richard, for your regular readership, and constructive criticism.

Bill, another Melbourne man, who spent some short but highly appreciated time here recently. The obscure and frequently academic topics which get debated here suffer from a lack of realism, although I myself treat philosophy as a life skill. Bill's contributions have always provided great contributions, often in the form of specific historical stories and/or anecdotes. Thanks for keeping it real.

Paul, thanks for your many comments. It's great to see you stopping by so often.

Clive, ever the realist. He never lets me fly too far from the ground with my rambles.

Oh, god, now I know I'm going to forget people. I hate it when I forget people, because I really do appreciate them all, even though they might slip my mind at this instant.

Becky and Guile, two new visitors - hello there. Thanks for the kind comments.

Oh look, this is starting to read like an academy awards speech, and I haven't even thanked my Mom yet. I'm going to stop before it gets silly. For everyone, including the people I haven't mentioned, thanks for all the contributions. And most of all, thank you for letting me sound like an idiot, and not giving me too much hell over it!

Cheers,
-MP

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Thanks for the compliments! I've certainly enjoyed our exchanges too -- it's nice to have an intellectual sparring partner with whom one can disagree in a friendly manner.

Speaking of disagreement, I hope to respond to your latest addition to the moral relativism debate. It's interesting stuff. But life has gotten very busy all of a sudden so I'm not sure if I will manage by the end of the week. If not, I guess we will get a chance to discuss it in person next week anyway! :-)

7/14/2005 01:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Paul said...

Thanks for mentioning me, but my part has been very minor. I hope your can keep up the interesting postings.

7/15/2005 03:44:00 PM  
Blogger Bill Cooper said...

Thanks for the mention I still read your blog, however my last comments from someone who used the word "Dude" were on reflection rather unkind and I overstepped the boundary I feel. I have refrained from commenting since then.

Thanks for your always interesting blog.

Bill

7/15/2005 08:03:00 PM  
Blogger Bill Cooper said...

PS I told you I often blog after an evening whisky, it probably shows.

7/15/2005 08:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home