Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Genetic Testing of Athletes

MelbournePhilosopher

Gattaca, here we come. I for one welcome our new genetically enhanced overlords...

"Two of the AFL's most powerful clubs are considering DNA testing young recruits to test their likely height, strength, speed and stamina." ... from today's Age .

This, of course, is an issue much discussed, and seldom resolved. Actually, it's usually resolved by people agreeing how bad it would be, but I think that's just ducking the question. There are many benefits that genetic selection and artificial improvement could bring.

Sure, it's just a step away from eugenics, one of the philosophical ideas used to justify the Nazi movement, but here proponents could claim they had a scheme where nobody loses - or at least nobody loses their head.

Here's the real question. Is Australian AFL the first? Does anyone from overseas have links to evidence that this kind of thing might really be put into practise? Where else can we identify genuine examples of genetic selection such as being described here?

Cheers,
-MP

2 Comments:

Blogger jasmine said...

Great job on your talk on dna testing. I have a dna testing secrets blog if you wanna swing by my place!

9/13/2005 01:58:00 PM  
Blogger mia said...

I really liked the information on dna testing, great job! I have my own dna testing secrets blog if you would like to come and see what I have on mine.

9/13/2005 02:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home