Thursday, May 12, 2005

An Open Conversation on The Meaning of Life

MelbournePhilosopher

When you mention that you study philosophy, one common response is "You mean, like the meaning of life and stuff?". Depending on my mood and the person asking, I'll respond with anything from a sharp cuff to the back of the head to an actual answer to the question. Regardless, the public at large are clearly interested in engaging with philosophical issues, but don't want to study philosophy-about-philosophy before they get to, you know, the actual implications for them.

I would like to suggest a new mode for Philosophy on the internet - a conversational mode. That is why I am calling this an "open conversation". I will email several other bloggers, and invite them to post a blog post of their own in response, referencing this one. I would like to start a conversational thread, which can then be taken up by other bloggers, and invite an exchange of ideas.

What follows is my opening position on "The meaning of life". I would invite other bloggers to put their own position on this issue, or if they prefer, to bring the tools of philosophical analysis to it, in terms of their preferred systems. What can philosophy bring to the story I set out below?


The meaning of life is only the meaning that people give to it. The question has two layers - "What does my life mean to me?" and "What does my life mean to other people?".

To me, the meaning of my life constantly changes as I learn more about it. As I learn more about physics, philosophy, experience a wider range of relationships with people and the world etc, the meaning of life itself changes. At the moment, my life is valuable to me because of my engagement with people that I love. The things which I value in life are what go most into my understanding of life. The meaning of life is my understanding and valuing of my experiences and relationships.

Answering the question of what it means to others is an amalgamation of all the different ways in which I am understood. Those different ways are not going to be the same, and probably not be consistent. But let me say, whatever my life means to others, it is what it means to my friends and loved ones which is most important to me. How others understand my life is in fact a very real part of how I understand myself, and how I choose to live.

Sometimes, the meaning of life is interpreted as asking for its goal, or some kind of path of understanding, or in terms of some philosophical framework. I say rather, the meaning of life is understood in terms simply of my framework, and my framework is at times philosophical, at times objective, at times angered and so forth.

This is one of the reasons I love philosophy. Working on my framework with the tools of philosophy brings me a richer understanding and valuation of my own life.

Cheers,
-MelbournePhilosopher

11 Comments:

Blogger Bill Cooper said...

Hmmmm I will have to think for a while, in your second last paragraph you intertwined the meaning and purpose of life to equal much the same thing (I think that is what it meant). Well I think I can agree that for this purpose we will agree that meaning and purpose are the same. Is that ok with you? If this gets too serious I may have to do my blogging sober.

5/12/2005 09:04:00 PM  
Blogger MelbournePhilosopher said...

Blog sober? I wouldn't wish that on you! I only do it 'cause half the time I'm at work...

I guess I was saying that I don't have some codeified purpose - some Higher Task which I have set out in a logbook somewhere, but I do have goals. I have a sense of purpose in what I do, and my framework for understanding it is my own. I have my own understanding of the meaning of life, it includes a sense of purpose, but I can't write it down as ten commandments, or even summarise it generally.

Cheers,
-MP

5/12/2005 09:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Paul said...

Accepting that meaning and purpose are the same thing, I suggest the purpose of life is to be happy. This is the prime goal of life; the only one we seek for its own sake.

Many of us search for meaning, or purpose, but it is a search for happiness.

5/24/2005 10:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - you go right to the hard ones, eh? No dilly-dallying around with easy questions like "What is existance" or "Where does morality come from"... :D I'm not certain that this level of address really helps the person who's interested in 'practical philosophy', though; IME, they're looking for a philosophy that supports their current actions, not looking for a philosophy that meets any criteria of 'ethics' or 'reason'. But good luck to you anyway!

Steve ( http://blog.kcheretic.com )

6/10/2005 12:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Paul in that the meaning of life is to be happy. However, how does one be truly happy if he or she is not content with what they have. Therefore I suggest that contentedness is the goal in the search for the meaning of life.

7/26/2005 11:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The meaning of life is not about being happy... or sad... or good or bad... or right or wrong. The meaning of life is to experience life... All of it. And understand that each and every experience is only worth what you choose to take away from it. Happiness doesn't exist unless you've known sadness. The meaning of life is not be happy... the meaning of life is to experience life... for good, bad and ugly. For every 'up' there is a 'down' and with every 'down' comes an 'up'. Enjoys your 'ups' but enjoy your 'downs' even more as they are what makes the good times great... The meaning of life can only be found in experiencing it.

1/06/2006 02:57:00 PM  
Blogger ghkj said...

welcome to the wow gold, cheap WoW Power Leveling, service site,wotlk gold buy cheap wow gold,wow gold,world of warcraft power leveling buy wow gold

2/06/2009 05:24:00 PM  
OpenID raditiya13 said...

Jika anda merasa bingung dimana mencari referensi harga mesin terbaru dan terupdate maka anda dapat langsung mengunjungi situs kami, langsung saja Lihat Artikel yang mana telah ada informasi super lengkap mengenai harga mesin terkini baik itu mesin jahit dan juga mesin fotocopy. Anda seorang pengangguran? Jika iya maka anda perlu memulai usaha sendiri daa menjadi seorang wirausaha yang sukses, jika anda bingung memulainya silahkan baca artikel ini yang mana kami telah membagikan referensi peluang usaha baik sampingan, modal kecil ataupun tanpa modal.

1/19/2015 01:56:00 PM  
OpenID raditiya13 said...

Jika anda seorang ibu rumah tangga yang ingin membuat masakan lezat namun terhalang karena tidak bisa membuatnya maka anda dapat membaca resep cara membuat masakan lezat pada situs kami di http://resepmembuat99.blogspot.com atau anda dapat langsung membaca salah satu artikel kami yakni Resep Cara Membuat Kue Blueberry Rich Cake Ala Blueband yang mana akan di berikan informasi seputar kue blueberry rich yang super lezat dan nikmat. Selain itu anda juga bisa menyimak Resep Cara Membuat Martabak Mie Enak dan Gurih yang dapat anda pratekkan bersama keluarga tercinta, atau melihat artikel Resep Cara Membuat Roti Bakar Kacang Pisang Ala Blueband yang berisi info membuat roti bakar kacang yang enak, atau melihat artikel Resep Cara Membuat Kue Pandan Choco Cookies Yang Enak yang berisi informasi membuat kue lebaran pandan choco, atau melihat artikel Resep Cara Membuat Nasi Goreng Blueband Super Lezat yang mana berisi resep spesial sajian sarapan nasi goreng super enak, atau melihat artikel Resep Cara Membuat Roti Biskuit Susu, Sajian Sarapan Enak yang mana berisi tips membuat roti biskuit susu yang enak, atau melihat artikel Resep Cara Membuat Kue Cheese Streusel Cookies Sajian Lebaran Lezat yang mana anda akan di berikan cara membuat kue cheese yang lezat, atau melihat artikel Resep Cara Membuat Nasi Goreng Kampung Yang Lezat yang berisi cara membuat nasi goreng kampung super lezat dan mudah membuatnya, atau melihat artikel Resep Cara Membuat Roti Kacang Tabur Apel ala Blueband yang mana berisi membuat roti kacang tabur apel yang super lezat dan yang terakhir anda dapat membaca Resep Cara Membuat Kue Katberry Cheese Ala Blueband yang mana semua informasi resep di atas dapat anda jadikan referensi membuat makanan lezat. Jika anda ingin belajar memasak, saya anjurkan untuk baca resep terlengkap atau anda langsung saja baca kumpulan resep indonesia yang mana kami menyediakan banyak sekali informasi resep terkini. Anda juga dapat klik info resep enak dan lezat atau langsung mengikuti url kami dengan cara klik resep masakan khas Indonesia yang mana telah tersedia resep lengkap.

1/19/2015 01:57:00 PM  
OpenID raditiya13 said...

Anda sebagai pemula dalam hal memasak dan anda bingung ingin belajar memasak dimana? Saat ini kami menyajikan kumpulan resep yang dapat anda baca sebagai referensi belajar yakni pada url kami di http://resep-kuliner99.blogspot.com atau anda dapat membaca resep spesial kami yakni Resep Kue Blueberry Rich Cake Ala Blueband Yang Enak yang cukup mudah membuatnya. Selain itu kami juga memiliki banyak kumpulan resep seperti Resep Martabak Mie Ala Blueband Super Lezat yang lezat dan mudah membuatnya, atau anda dapat membaca artikel Resep Roti Bakar Kacang & Pisang Ala Blueband yang mudah serta menyehatkan, atau anda dapat membaca artikel Resep Kue Pandan Choco Cookies Ala Blueband Enak yang lezat dengan aroma pandan yang di padukan dengan cookies lezat, atau anda dapat membaca artikel Resep Nasi Goreng Blueband Lezat Menyehatkan yang mudah membuatnya, atau anda dapat membaca artikel Resep Roti Biskuit Susu Ala Blueband Super Lezat yang lezat dengan susu biskuit, atau anda dapat membaca artikel Resep Kue Cheese Streusel Cookies ala Blueband yang enak dengan taburan keju, atau anda dapat membaca artikel Resep Nasi Goreng Kampung ala Blueband Yang Enak yang lezat khas kampung yang sederhana, atau anda dapat membaca artikel Resep Roti Kacang Tabur Apel ala Blueband yang lezat dengan taburan apel sangat cocok untuk sajian menyehatkan dan yang terakhir anda dapat menyimak Resep Kue Katberry Cheese Ala Blueband dengan Video Cara Membuatnya yang enak dan lezat sangat mudah membuatnya, sangat cocok sebagai sajian lebaran menyehatkan. Anda juga bisa baca artikel resep tradisional atau langsung mengunjungi baca artikel cara membuat makanan lezat yang mana disana terdapap resep lengkap. Anda juga dapat melihat resep membuat makanan super lezat atau ikuti saja linkresep membuat sajian enak yang mana menyediakan banyak info resep. Yang terakhir anda bisa read more info resep terbaru atau membaca baca selengkapnya resep asli Indonesia yang mana telah terdapat info resep kuliner terlengkap.

1/19/2015 01:59:00 PM  
Anonymous rose gre said...

untuk mencari dan menemukan bandar bola terbesar bukanlah hal yang mudah, tapi anda mesti mencoba dan bertanya ke berbagai pengguna internet karena banyak sekarang ini agen bola dengan nama besar tapi curang dan membuat sebuah peraturan yang memberatkan. kalau anda ingin cari yang terbaik, maka jagobetting dan hokybet adalah pilihannya. uraian singkat situs tersebut sudah luas beredar di dunia maya dan jika anda ingin bergabung silakan daftar disini. mainkan berbagai permainan judi adil terpercaya mulai dari baccarat, ibcbet, sbobet, bola tangkas, bola adil dan sebagainya

3/30/2016 06:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home