Monday, May 30, 2005

My New Pen

MelbournePhilosopher

If nothing else comes from my expedition into share trading, I will have gained a new favourite pen. It's a fountain pen, with a gold nib, made by Parker (now a subsiduary of Paper-Mate). It cost me $29.95 at the local newsagent, which I regard as reasonable for a good pen (refillable), and is far superior to any of the last three fountain pens I have owned, most of which cost more too. Don't get me wrong - I'm not really a huge fountain pen afficionado - I buy perhaps one every three years or so, and usually they don't last that long. But I have a good feeling about this one.

Why this ludicrous rant about a fountain pen? I'll get to the point in a little bit, so stick with me, and I'll get someplace.

I bought the fountain pen to write my investment journal with. I felt that in order to give myself maximum enjoyment, I needed to make the journal into something that felt special, something to give a sense of occasion. Writing the journal is part of a learning process which I mean to take seriously, and for me that means it needs to be rewarding, fun and interesting. A part of that is to escape the feeling of being ordinary.

Being ordinary can be a nice, safe place, but it can also be a prison. Many things I do are ordinary - my job, eating lunch with people at work, buying a coffee every morning and exchanging idle banter with the coffee guy. (Hey there coffee guy! You made it to my blog J!)

Here's the nib - er point. Although when push comes to blot I'm having trouble expressing it. By ... respecting ... our work, we also make it more important to ourselves. And that's a good thing. It is good to make some things a little less ordinary.

Cheers,
-MP

3 Comments:

Anonymous Paul said...

I tried share trading for about a year and I gave it up after loosing a couple of thousand dollars. I found it took quite a lot of time and focussed my mind on making money. I find woodworking is a far superior hobby, and investing in a share index fund is a more reliable way of making money on the share market. But, best of luck.

5/30/2005 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger Illusive Mind said...

Doesn't that prove that it is not the world that is ordinary, but only yourself?

(Said in best Matrix 'Spoon Boy' impersonation)

6/02/2005 06:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Paul said...

When you say I am ordinary is that an attempted insult? What are you impersonating?

6/20/2005 04:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home