Friday, April 15, 2005

Raising awareness of Free Information

MelbournePhilosopher

Recently, I put a creative-commons license cover page into one of my essays, exported it to PDF, and called it the first copy-lefted philosophy library. (contents - one essay). Maybe one day I'll get round to expanding it, but for the moment, mission accomplished.

Given that all I did was whack a license over the top of one of my Uni essays, it occurred to me that including it with the actual essay at submission time might help to raise awareness of copy-lefting generally within academic institutions. Since the vast majority of philosophical work comes out of the Academy, and is accessible only to those with access to non-free university library systems, it makes sense to me that the most useful information is generated and distributed by academics.

Putting a copyleft license (in my case, creative commons - no derivatives, no commercial use, requires attribution, free re-distribution and use) on the papers at submission time might pique the interests of some of those more senior students and professors that see them.

Essay marking in philosophy is often done by young Masters and Ph.D. candidates, which means that the digital divide is not so great as for the professorial "digital immigrants" who are often very uncomfortable with technology. (Thanks to Rupert Murdoch for that lovely phrase, made when talking about the effect of the Internet on news distribution. He has even heard of blogging!)

Could the revolution possibly start at home?

-MP

1 Comments:

Blogger Deshar said...

great blog you have!

when you have time, i invite you to visit my site:

free information

10/02/2005 05:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home