Saturday, October 09, 2004

Making Choices

MelbournePhilosopher

A busy day, so a short post. Today, I took several choices which I regarded as being informed by good philosophy.

Firstly, I voted. This is a legal requirement, but I still exercised my duty and right of choice as a citizen to affect the government of our country. You may not be surprised to learn that I voted Green, but it is a change from the last election where I placed my vote with the Liberal party.

Secondly, I bought a table. This was good on two fronts - surprisingly. Firstly, it was good because I bought it from St. Vincent de Paul, which means most of the proceeds go towards some kind of socially responsible spending. Secondly, it was to provide the furniture for an upcoming dinner party. I regard dinner parties as philosophically good things, because they foster a sense of community, friendship, and discourse.

Philosophy need not be about big things. It can give us a sense of pleasure in the everyday choices we make, and make us more comfortable with the goodness of small decisions.

-MP

2 Comments:

Blogger thesocialworker said...

are you aware of www.philosophytalk.org

like to listen

10/09/2004 05:23:00 PM  
Blogger MelbournePhilosopher said...

No - it hadn't turned up in any of my Google searches or trolling through link pages. Thanks for the pointer. I've added it to the melbournephilosophy.com website, and will quite likely start working my way through the archive during my commute time! Thanks very much...

10/10/2004 12:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home