Sunday, October 10, 2004

Dr Strangebrows

MelbournePhilosopher

OR

How I came to love the bomb and stop worrying...

Okay, maybe looking for Strangelove in yesterday's election result was the result of an intoxicated and slightly enthusiastic mind, but left-wing thinkers countrywide are mourning the death of democracy in our country. (I'm not really left-wing, I'm with them on this issue) Some libs are celebrating it - most people are probably just out in the gorgeous sunny weather spending their disposable income and hoping they don't need any dental care.

My teeth are really a major worry now. Latham was going to pay for my many years overdue dental checkup, but unfortunately it now looks like I will have to save the money up myself. It's lucky I've got a good job, but unfortunate that by current estimations it will take me another two paychecks to clear all my outstanding bills, which unfortunately is also more or less the period at which the next will arrive. Let's just hope the teeth hold out long enough.

Australia has voted, and they've decided to do away with the old "checks and balances" approach to government, believing that the Howard and Costello double act can do a better job without any pesky intervention.

I can't possibly be objective on a day like today. Philosophy has gone out the window, and instead I'm ranting. But it's good to express your opinions in a heartfelt way, without doing lip-service to anything, just as long as you do it in moderation. Tomorrow, I will return to carefully thinking things through. Today, I wax lyrical.

I'm reminded of a quote from Quark (a character in the Star Trek series "Deep Space Nine). "Root beer. I hate it. It's just like humans - it's so sweet and bubbly and happy. But you know the worst thing? If you drink enough of it, you start to like it."

1 Comments:

Blogger Koman said...

Nooooooooooooo. Not another 3 years of Howard. I'm going to be broke to - anoter 25% increase on HECS fees. Damn.

I might as well go full-fee-paying. Damn.

True about loss of democracy though, to an extent. Hmmph.

10/10/2004 03:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home